Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup, Paleo by Linda Wagner
This healthy version of Chicken Tortilla Soup will knock your socks off! You don’t need to add cheese or tortilla strips the soup is full of flavor on it’s own!
- 2 large chicken breasts, skin removed and cut into ½ inch strips
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces organic chicken broth
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalepenos, de-seeded and diced
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped fine
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced – I always use one of these
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 1-2 cups water
- In a crockpot or large dutch oven over med-high heat, place a dash of olive oil and about ¼ cup chicken broth. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, sea salt and pepper and cook until soft, adding more broth as needed.
- Then add all of your remaining ingredients and enough water to fill to the top of your pot. Cover and let cook on low for about 2 hrs, adjusting salt & pepper as needed.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, you should be able to shred it very easily. I simply used the back of a wooden spoon and pressed the cooked chicken against the side of the pot. You could also use a fork or tongs to break the chicken apart and into shreds.
- Top with avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
- This is an easy one-pot meal that’s loaded with veggies, low in fat, and full of flavor! You don’t need to add cheese or tortilla strips the soup is full of flavor on it’s own!