Do you know your pH number?
Do you feel like you’re doing the right things (eat healthy + exercise) but the number on the scale won’t budge? Too much acid in your body might be the reason!
Don’t worry you don’t need to be a biochemist to balance your body’s pH. The pH scale is like a tug-of-war in your body. On one side there is the acid team and on the other side is the alkaline team. The middle is neutral. Most of what we eat and our lifestyle choices tip the balance in favor of acidity. Meat, dairy products, sugary foods, soda, and many other foods are all extremely acidifying to the body.
Your blood needs to remain stable at 7.3 (slightly alkaline) to maintain health and life. We cannot live if our body becomes acidic, so the body has mechanisms in place to ensure that the blood, which feeds our brain and all our organs, glands, and tissues, remains slightly alkaline. One of the ways the body deals with acidity is to store it in fat cells as a way to get it out of the blood quickly. Fat cells are your body’s natural buffer against acid since they have a natural affinity for acidic toxins and acidity. Fat is actually your body’s ally against acidic food choices.
Do you want to measure your PH? The easiest way to measure your pH is to purchase PH test strips and test yourself at home. Get your test strips here!
Reducing acid-forming foods in your diet while increasing alkalizing one gives your body a chance to restore balance at the cellular level, which allows it to start breaking down fat stores and ultimately re-balance your weight.
8 ways to alkalize your body
- Eat more veggies. Most vegetables are alkalizing to your body. So eat your salad greens, beets, broccoli, celery, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, onions, garlic, spinach, sweet potatoes, and yams.
- Whole grains like quinoa, spelt, buckwheat groats, and millet since they are alkalizing. While there are many other healthy whole grain options, many are acid-forming.
- Drink lots of purified water with fresh lemon juice.
- Choose almond milk over dairy products.
- Enjoy the alkaline fruits: avocado, sour cherries, coconut (fresh), grapefruit, tomatoes, lemons, and limes. And, while it is tempting to believe the myth that all fruit is alkalizing to the body, it is just a myth, even if it is perpetuated by many well-intentioned people. But, they still have many health-boosting properties when eaten in moderation.
- Eat more beans, peas, lentils.
- Try to eat a large salad daily (with a healthy dressing option).
- Get your daily dose of pHresh greens! This raw alkalizing superfood is made with 16 raw ingredients that were carefully selected for their highly alkalizing properties.
Kick Acid by making 70 percent of your diet alkaline foods. Take a look at this chart: